How Do I Add Sales Tax to Purchases on My Fundraiser?
Need to add sales tax to your experience purchases? We’ve got you covered! It’s quick and simple with these few steps.
As you may know, some states make it a requirement that sales tax be added to any purchases made through your fundraisers. If you’re an organization running any experience selling taxable items, you may need to report these purchases to the state and pay taxes.
Be sure to check your state's specific rules and implications to determine if you need to be collecting sales tax on your experience purchases.
Items requiring sales tax
- Items sold in sale fundraisers (i.e., t-shirts, water bottles, and hats)
- Items won in an auction (i.e., autographed memorabilia, gifts baskets, and experiences)
- Perks or rewards given in a crowdfunding experience (i.e., posters, pop sockets, and coffee mugs)
- Registrations for events (i.e., races, golf tournaments, and challenges)
Taxes are not applied to any donations or fees, just to individual items in your fundraiser. For instance, if a generous participant decides to give an extra donation in addition to the item they purchase, only the item would accrue the sales tax — not the donation.
Collect sales tax
- Click on Experiences in the left menu.
- If you’re in list view, click on the title of your experience. If you’re in grid view, click on the experience image.
- Click Edit Experience*.
- In the timeline at the top, click on the heading of the experience type you’re running (i.e., ‘Auction’ or ‘Sale’).
- Scroll until you find the following box (this is what you’re looking for):
- Check the box next to Add sales tax to item totals at checkout.
- Enter the sales tax amount.
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the page.
And that’s all there is to it! The sales tax will be displayed to purchasers in the confirmation receipt sent immediately after their purchase.
Sales tax report
If at any time you want to view how much sales tax was collected on your fundraiser, we’ve made it super easy to do so. Each transaction will break out the amount of sales tax accumulated in the experience reports. It has its own column labeled “Sales Tax,” so you can’t miss it. The best part? You can export it for whatever you may need.
View and Export a List of Donations and Donor Information
Have more questions?
We’re here to help! Our team is available via chat on our website during normal business hours. Just hit the purple message button in the bottom right of your screen.
*Note: Terminology on these buttons may be different according to the terminology that you’ve chosen for your experience.
Have more questions? Submit a ticket