Automatically Send Canadian Tax Receipts to Your Donors
Est. Read Time: 2 MIN
Learn how to set up and use the automatic Canadian tax receipt feature.
Manually creating tax receipts for your donors can be time-consuming for organizations in Canada. You can save time by letting the system automatically generate and send your donors a tax receipt when they make an eligible tax-deductible donation on one of your fundraisers.
Automatic Canadian tax receipts are available to use for any organization in Canada. You can customize the receipts with your organization’s branding and information.
According to the Canadian Revenue Agency, tax receipts can only be sent for donations where the donor did not receive goods or services in exchange. Here are some examples of eligible and ineligible donations:
Examples of eligible donations:
- Donations on a crowdfunding experience that don’t offer perks
- One-time or recurring donations on a donation page
- Per-unit and flat amount donations on an a-thon fundraiser
- Direct donations (without receiving goods or services in exchange)
Examples of ineligible donations:
- Raffle or sweepstakes entry purchases
- Item purchases on a sale fundraiser
- Bids on auction items
- Ticket purchases on an event experience
The system will automatically detect the kind of donation the donor made on your fundraiser and send them a tax receipt accordingly.
Set up Canadian Tax Receipts
You must first enable this feature and complete a short set up to start using it. Here’s how you do it:
- Click Profile under the Organization setting in the left menu.
- Scroll down to the card labeled Tax-deductible notification and check the toggle Automatically send Canadian tax receipts to your donors.
- Add the information for your business registration number and receipt signature. You can also upload an image of the signature and the organization logo.
- Click SAVE at the bottom of the page.
After you complete these steps, the system will start sending Canadian tax receipts automatically for eligible donations (as defined above).
View and resend tax receipts
You can view any donation’s tax receipt in your experience management menu. You can also resend the donor their tax receipt via email from this same menu. Here’s how to do it:
- Click Experiences in the left menu.
- If you have chosen a list view, click on the title of your experience. If you have chosen a grid view, click on the experience image.
- Click View Donations*.
- Hover over the donation and click the three-dot icon the right.
- Click View Tax Receipt or Resend Tax Receipt.
Good to Know
- The Canadian Revenue Agency has specific requirements about what information needs to display about the donor and organization on the tax receipt, such as the donor’s address and middle initial. This information will be automatically collected in checkout from donors so that it can be used to generate tax receipts.
- The system will send donors their tax receipts by email. The email they receive looks like this:
*Note that the terminology on these menus may be different according to the terminology that you’ve created for your experience.
Have more questions? Submit a ticket